Each week, in our Mid-Week Marketing Mash-Up, we bring you the advice of five must-read marketing articles in just two minutes or less.
SEO strategy is so much different now than it was 10 years ago. Search engine algorithms have changed so dramatically that practices that were once standard are no longer relevant. And actually, that’s great for you, because while the algorithms may have become more complex, what you have to do to rank has become simpler. What SEO really comes down to now is all a part of implementing sound inbound marketing techniques.
- If You’re Doing SEO (Search Engine Optimization), You’re Doing It Wrong: (1) “…search engine optimization has become a core part of all other inbound marketing tactics, so there is no need to DO SEO anymore.” Really, “being found” comes down to doing inbound marketing. (2) You need to establish your marketing strategy, and it starts with finding keywords that are being searched for and questions that are being asked by your prospective customers. (3) Write educational content and blog posts based on those keywords and questions for your website, (4) and blog consistently—as often as possible. (5) Make sure your website includes relevant and complete page titles, page subheads, url naming, meta tags, and meta descriptions. (6) Include videos on your site with keywords in the audio and in a text script. (7) And, last but not least, you won’t be ranked unless you pay attention to social media—create content that people want to share.
- Six Tools To Help You Boost Your SEO: These are free and paid tools that will help you to improve your site’s searchability, visibility, and thus findability. (8) Google Keyword Planner—a great tool for finding keywords for your site; (9) Google Webmaster Tools—for monitoring and optimizing your site’s SEO; (10) SEO Quake—a toolbar that allows you to access helpful SEO tools while browsing the internet; (11) Moz—”a suite of tools that are all designed to help you continually analyze and refine your website and optimize your SEO all at the same time”; (12) Ubersuggest—a simpler version of Google Keyword Planner; (13) Live Keyword Analysis—a way to check and optimize your keyword density.
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Modern SEO: Click through to see all of the specific dos and don’ts. But, here’s the gist. (14) The main thing you must do is to write content in a natural, relatable tone for your customers that is both valuable and something they’re interested in sharing. (15) The main don’ts include keyword “stuffing,” and optimizing only for search engines. (16) (Have you gotten the hint yet? Write for humans!)
- Five SEO Steps To Take Before Redesigning Your Site: (17) A site overhaul could have a negative impact on your search rankings, so do the following before you start the process in order to minimize those losses. (18) Research your keywords and rankings. (19) Make a list of the landing pages that are performing best for you right now. (20) Now that you have that information, make sure changes you make to your site structure won’t make them perform worse. (Click through for details.) (21) Check to see who is linking to you currently, and create a plan for every link that is bringing in traffic. (22) Stick to making changes gradually instead of updating the entire thing at once.
- A New SEO Approach To Content Strategy: (23) “… [by] moving away from the old-school SEO strategy that’s based only on keyword targeting, and embracing the philosophy behind [inbound and content marketing], we can create a site and an online presence that wins, thanks to the creativity of its marketing, using the technicalities of SEO only as instruments.”